Thursday, June 19, 2008

Another Anniversary

Juneteenth again!

And I'm afraid to read Douglas Blackmon's "Slavery by Another Name: The Re-Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II" for fear of drowning in tears.

I lived through the latter part of that era and actually understood what was happening, though not what levels it had reached.

I'm sure my forebears owned slaves and know of no way to affect that, but I keep trying both in writing and living.

The delights I've felt in mostly entertainment areas - Paul Robeson's incredible stage presence; Althea Gibson winning Wimbledon; Jackie Robinson's fantastic skill and vectorhood - had added to them this week's triumph of the Boston Celtics, an all-black basketball team in their championship release of jubilant emotion.

Love.

No comments: